Shorter lower footboards

Please use this forum for queries and answers about LNWR coaching stock
PhilipWillis

Shorter lower footboards

Post by PhilipWillis » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:32 am

I notice that in later years, when the full-length lower footboard had been removed, there was usually a short lower footboard, presumably for staff needing to enter the coach when not at a platform?

In many cases, it is a short length at one end of the carriage. There are also some longer ones. For example, page 12 of Philip Millard's 30ft 1in. book. My first though was this was needed to access the luggage doors but is longer than that.

I am trying to determine which to fit to my models. Any general guidance on which length to fit to what would be appreciated.

If it helps, I am working with Diagrams 196, 297, 391 (all 30ft 1in.) and 169 (32ft).

Thank you.

johngowers

Re: Shorter lower footboards

Post by johngowers » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:53 pm

Lower boards would have been required at the step end to allow access to the roof. An example in the 30ft 1 inch book is shown as being 4ft 6 ins long. Longer boards were fitted under guards compartments to include under at least part of the luggage doors, these are shown as being 8ft 3ins long. The different lengths show up quite clearly in the phots in the same book

John

PhilipWillis

Post by PhilipWillis » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:07 pm

John

Thank you. I had noticed there were different lengths and that they were often positioned near luggage doors, so it is really helpful to have that confirmed. I didn't know either the actual lengths or appreciate the roof access reason.

So thank you very much, I can now remove the long boards on my models and know what lengths to cut and where to install the shorter lengths.

I don't think I have ever had such a swift resolution of a post on any Forum before!

Kind regards

Philip

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:22 pm

johngowers wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:53 pm
Lower boards would have been required at the step end to allow access to the roof.
John
That may be logical but I don't think it is correct. The short footboards retained after the main boards had been removed, were almost always at the right hand end. I looked this up for somebody recently and it is in one of Philip Millard's books - probably 30ft 1in?

Mike

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 pm

It is in the WCJS book, p35 "After 1901 ... leaving only a section about 3ft 6in long at the extreme right hand end ..."

Mike

johngowers

Post by johngowers » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:25 am

I stand corrected, my only excuse is that it is 23 years since I built my train of 6 wheeled carriages. Mike is right, all the photos show a short step at the right hand end.

PhilipWillis

Post by PhilipWillis » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 am

Thank you John and Mike.

I had on some previous occasion fitted one of my models with the short footboard at the end, so I must have been taking a punt from the photographs. It is because I am now updating all 8 chassis that I thought I would get it correct.

Millard page 14 has a photo of a train which at first glance appears to show short footboards displaced from the end. This is an artefact of the oblique camera angle and what we would now call a telephoto lens. It is displaced but it will be the intermediate length on the brake 3rd. A rough check with a ruler, compared to the full-length upper board, suggests it is just under a third of the full length without correcting for perspective; compatible with 7ft 6in as suggested earlier.

I have three books on LNWR carriages. The 30ft 1in. by Philip Millard, the Non-corridor, non 30ft 1in. by Millard and Tattersall, and David Jenkinson's LNWR carriages. Only the first of these gives a detailed account of the 30ft 1in. stock. So far I had not found any discussion of reduced footboards. As you can see, that doesn't include the WCJS book mentioned by Mike so the additional information from there is helpful.

Best wishes and thank you again

Philip

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:51 am

Philip,

The West Coast Joint Stock book may sound like a niche subject, and it is also now quite an old book. But, Philip does go into some detail in it about standard fittings, because of course the carriages were so similar and on some cases identical. They are cheap to buy today, so I do recommend it still. But pick a good copy as the binding falls apart!

Mike