Locos on the Huddersfield Line?

Please use this forum for queries and answers about LNWR locomotives
GWRSwindon

Locos on the Huddersfield Line?

Post by GWRSwindon » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:07 am

I'm interested in finding out what locos and trains were common on the LNWR's lines from Manchester to Leeds from 1905 to 1914. The line never seems to have been especially important to the line, and while I suspect in this period there would have been some assortment of 2-4-0s and 0-6-0s of Webb vintage, I hoped there might be more reliable information available.

melvynsmith

Re: Locos on the Huddersfield Line?

Post by melvynsmith » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:18 am

For locos, the writings of Neil Fraser are THE place to go. Two books from Oakwood Press 'Hillhouse Immortals' and 'The Yorkshire Lines of the LNWR'. The original source material was all bequeathed to the Society archive I think. There is another out of print book 'Pennine Journey' by Stock which has a bit more detail of the Huddersfield end.

GWRSwindon

Post by GWRSwindon » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:28 pm

melvynsmith wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:18 am
For locos, the writings of Neil Fraser are THE place to go. Two books from Oakwood Press 'Hillhouse Immortals' and 'The Yorkshire Lines of the LNWR'. The original source material was all bequeathed to the Society archive I think. There is another out of print book 'Pennine Journey' by Stock which has a bit more detail of the Huddersfield end.
Thank you Mr. Smith, I'll order them when I get the chance.

Does anyone how important coal traffic was on the Manchester-Leeds line?

melvynsmith

Post by melvynsmith » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:20 am

I'm not quite sure what's behind the question, and can't answer in terms of the proportion of revenues from coal traffic , as I don't have that information. My spotting days on the line were a couple of generations later as well. However, express freight would have reflected imports from the ports on both sides of the pennines, and more generally local industries dictated the traffic. Textiles were a major player; on the Lancashire side raw cotton in and finished cotton out and on the Yorkshire side woollen manufacture, with a big dyestuffs manufacturing capacity to support it. Other chemicals were fireworks / explosives during WW1 and coal tar derivatives. Heavy engineering of course on both sides (so there would be boilers on boiler trolleys etc) , and beer for all those thirsty workers. By the time of your period of interest the route was quadrupled throughout if you include the Leeds New Line, and a major artery and so locos to match with Webb compound 0-8-0 and 2-8-0 heavy freight locos. Obviously all those factories had boilers hungry for coal and there were busy yards and coal drops throughout requiring local deliveries in coal wagons, but I dont think you would characterise freight traffic on this line in the same way as the mineral lines in the South Yorkshire /Nottingham area. Also, the Narrow Canal, which travelled though the Standedge Summit alongside the railway, although in LNWR ownership was still a competitive option for slow traffic like bulk coal at the beginning of that era at least.
Melvyn

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 am

I admire anyone who dares to join an LNWR forum with a handle of "GWRSwindon". But all prodigal railway enthusiasts are welcomed back here and we hope you stay!

Mike