Siding Costs. Sydney Leleux

Please use this forum for queries and answers about LNWR goods yards
pstanton

Siding Costs. Sydney Leleux

Post by pstanton » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:05 am

Sydney is producing a new book and poses the question here; anybody know anything about siding installation costs? It could be a million quid on the modern railway if interlockings are disrupted!!

"During research for my updated history of the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway and associated systems, I discovered in George Garside's records held at the Bedfordshire Record Office a capital account dated 1-1-1911. Depreciation appears to have been at 10% on the current value. How can I calculate what the original cost would have been assuming a date of purchase? Alongside half a dozen sand quarries were two interesting items, a siding and rolling stock.

Does anyone have any idea what the LNWR would have charged to lay a siding 170 yards long from a running line, so trap points had to be provided? Its depreciated value was £176-0-0. I suspect it was laid around 1900.

The rolling stock had a depreciated capital value of £1395-10-0, which makes me think it represented main line wagons and not quarry skips, and that it had been purchased and was not just hired. How many wagons would that suggest? They were probably purchased at the same time the siding was laid, around 1900. Alternatively, Garside is supposed to have had 20/24 built by Thomas Burnett of Doncaster and another 24 hired from Wagon Repairs Ltd. Could this capital sum realistically represent the 20/24 Burnett wagons?"

reginstone

Re: Siding Costs. Sydney Leleux

Post by reginstone » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 pm

I think you will find a lot of information in the minutes of the LNWR Traffic committee, and from 1891 the Passenger Traffic committee. (the Goods Traffic comm only dealt with internal arrangements at goods stations). Expenditure of large sums would normally be confirmed by the LNWR Board, normally on the Friday after the TC meeting on the Wednesday.

All expenditure had to be approved. In the case of sidings for private traders, the work would be done by the LNWR, and the sum then reclaimed from the trader as a lump sum, a percentage per annum, or a tariff on goods dealt with. In my experience, these are specified in the minutes.

The minute books, and indexes, are all in RAIL410.

I would like to give a more detailed and specific response, but I have just returned from 2 weeks in Argentina, and have massive amounts of photo filing and indexing, file updating an data analysis to do. Also many emails to plod through and respond, not to mention washing and household chores!

reginstone

Post by reginstone » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:17 pm

More specifically on Leighton Buzzard - actually Grovebury Crossing on the Dunstable branch, I think.

If I recall correctly, there was anew siding for Garside's in 1899. I'm sure the authorisation is in the PTC minutes. When I get a chance, I'll check my photos of the index volume.

Depending on the scope of the book, maybe Sydney ought to have copies of all the LNWR minutes relating to the sand sidings at Grovebury?

Hope that helps, Reg

reginstone

Post by reginstone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Seems I was wrong - there are refs in the LNWR Goods Traffic comm minutes. Apparently this was considered to be a goods station:

1897 - book 2 - 2584 - accommodation for Mr G. Harris
1898 - book 2 - 3291 - nr Grovebury Crossing, siding connection for G. Garside Junior
1903 - book 4 - 5840 - extension of siding in Grovebury Yard to Mr Arnold's sand pit
1903 - book 4 - 6134 - arrangments with J. Arnold, G Garside, G Harris and the Leighton Buzzard Sand co for shunting by Rly Co's engines
1904 - book 4 - 6437 - Mr Arnold's siding taken up - credit for materials
1913 - book 7 - 10897 - Grovebury Siding - alterations and new weighing machine
1914 - book 7 - 11391 - arrangements with Garside for shunting
1915 - book 7 - 11592 - siding for Bullivant & Co
1919 - book 8 - 13054 - new connection, additional siding for Messrs Arnold
1920 - book 8 - 13599 - Sand Co siding at Grovebury relaid
1920 - book 8 - 13606 - Arnold & Son take over Harris's property
(later minutes in LMS Traffic Committee volumes)

Book 2, meeting 30 april 1898, minute 3291 reads:
Leighton - siding connection to be laid in on the Dunstable Branch adjoining Grovebury Crossing to accommodate the sand traffic of Mr G Garside at an estimated cost of
Permanent Way #300 signals #30 = #330
Mr Garside to pay one half the expense down, and the other half at the expiration of 12 months from completion of the work. Solicitor to prepare agreement.

[Note - completion of the work may have been reported to the PW. Works and Estates Committee]

reginstone

Post by reginstone » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:59 am

Is Sydney still pursuing this? I've had no acknowledgement of the info above and heard no more ...