LNWR trap point practice

Please use this forum for queries and answers about LNWR bridges, viaducts, track, water, buildings and so on.
John Brouwer

LNWR trap point practice

Post by John Brouwer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:09 am

I am working on (at last!) the final stage of track on an LNWR based model layout with track as was at Castlethorpe.
None of the photos I have show the arrangement of the trap point at the south end.
How would/could it have ended ? Did the LNWR use sand drags? I have seen a simple trap where the wagons would just run onto sleepers and also a siding with buffer stop but not a drag. My feeling is that a drag would cause the least damage/disruption to running lines. The north end had a proper siding .
Any suggestions?

John Brouwer

Signalman70

Re: LNWR trap point practice

Post by Signalman70 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:44 am

The 1900 25inch map appears to show a short "Safety Siding" at the south end of Castlethorpe - https://maps.nls.uk/view/114480968

I cannot recall seeing any layouts with sand drags at L&NW 'boxes, headshunts, short sidings or throw offs seemed standard according to local constraints.

I do recall at lever plate at Elmsthorpe lettered "Safty Siding" [sic] for the up refuge siding traps.

Dave Blower

John Brouwer

Re: LNWR trap point practice

Post by John Brouwer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:16 am

Thanks David,

Yes that confirms what I thought. I have that map and have allowed for a short siding. I will furnish it with a buffer stop.

John Brouwer