LNWR Books New

Members may post here their items for sale. Please note that the LNWR Society can accept no responsibility for the outcome of any transactions negotiated via this forum. Any matters arising must be resolved between the trading parties.
Edward Talbot

LNWR Books New

Post by Edward Talbot » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:21 pm

About three weeks ago I went to Betws y Coed and went into a bookshop called Book Wise in the station building, not on the platform side but on the the side facing the park. On display were several copies of my book 'A Pictorial Tribute to Crewe Works in the Age of Steam', signed by the author, and after talking to Chris, the proprietor, I realised how they must have come there. About twenty-five years ago, Crewe Works was sold to some foreign buyer, and one of the Englishmen retained by the new management was instructed to obtain 100 copies of this book from the publisher and have them signed by the author, so that they could be presented to the directors and others in the hierarchy of the new owning company to give them some idea what sort of works they had bought. Apparently, not all the copies were disposed of in this way, and those that were left have been recently sold to shops.
Book Wise, which also has a branch in Llandudno, has an excellent stock of railway books, many of them at reduced prices, and also stocks LNWRS publications. Any member looking for a particular title could do worse than phone the shop, 01690 733731, and ask Chris if it is in stock. Even better, would be to go to Betws y Coed, visit the Conway Valley Railway Museum, pay respects to Jack Nelson's dioramas and call at the bookshop in person. There is plenty of good ice cream available for children of all ages in Betws y Coed, and the Royal Oak Hotel, just across the park, is an excellent place for a meal.