E-bay precious metals?

Members may post here their items for sale. Please note that the LNWR Society can accept no responsibility for the outcome of any transactions negotiated via this forum. Any matters arising must be resolved between the trading parties.
Gary Wells

E-bay precious metals?

Post by Gary Wells » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:37 am

For the discerning cash rich consumer: an LNWR ground signal.

http://ebayitem.com/121705938397
How to start an argument on the internet:1, Express an opinion. 2, Wait

Mike Williams

Re: E-bay precious metals?

Post by Mike Williams » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 am

That is very nice.

The rarity, for me, is not that it pre-dates the miniature semaphore type, but that it has the original LNWR faces rather than discs with horizontal and angled black bars, which many were altered to by the LMS, including my own example. And it is in very nice condition.

Mike

Harry Jack

Post by Harry Jack » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm surprised by the colour yellow. The ones I remember had a red face.

An earlier(?) version of this type had a bigger lens aperture with a raised surround, 6 inches in diameter overall.

Gary Wells

Post by Gary Wells » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:19 am

A fine example of a characterless over-restoration; now had it been in its original tin worm eaten grimy state...........
How to start an argument on the internet:1, Express an opinion. 2, Wait

dal-t

Post by dal-t » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 pm

I wonder if the yellow face (obviously freshly repainted for sale) was an LMS modification (or someone's idea of an LMS modification)? I understand LNWR drivers were expected to know their roads and which signals could be passed at danger into a shunting neck, so the company never found it necessary to have red and yellow ground signal arms (or, presumably, faces). No doubt it was the Midland influence (flame warning) that led the LMS to 'dumb things down' ...
David Littlewood-Tysoe
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Mark Twain