Aylesbury

Please post brief details here of model railway layouts that portray the LNWR and which are exhibited at model railway exhibiitons. If possible post a link to the layout's web site or else a brief description.
Mike Williams

Aylesbury

Post by Mike Williams » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Aylesbury LNWR is NOT a portable exhibition layout.

Aylesbury LNWR was researched by my father, Geoff Williams in the 1950s and a portable exhibition layout built. It featured at several shows including the Model Railway Club at Central Hall Westminster. Geoff realised there were limitations and errors, so sold it to Pat Whitehouse and built a new layout which was described in Model Railway News in the 1960s. It also featured in MRJ No.0 and three of four subsequent issues.

Aylesbury is built mainly on 3/4in blockboard and 2in x 1in hardwood framing, so is not portable, but very robust and reliable in operation. The 18.2mm gauge track has plywood sleepers with rivets to which the TT (i.e. 3mm scale) n/s rail is soldered. Cosmetic “chairs” were added individually. The minimum radius is 3ft 3in. Electrics are H&M but the main control panel is purpose-made with electro-mechanical interlocking. The signalling is complete and working, including the Ground Signals.

The main baseboards consist of the station 7ft 6in X 2ft 1in; throat 6ft 9in X 2ft 4in; goods yard 4ft 2in X 1ft 1in and main line 12ft 3in X 1ft 7in, with a traverser and sector table 6ft 7in x 1ft 2in. Several other boards hang onto this for individual buildings or groups of buildings, making the complete layout 32ft x 19in for half of its length, widening to 8ft at the station.

Since my mother moved house a few years ago it has been carefully stored, but really needs a new home with somebody that will use it.

If anyone is interested, please contact Mike Williams mikewilliams4 at btinternet dot com.

Mike

Mike Williams

Re: Aylesbury

Post by Mike Williams » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:34 am

I need to find a new home for this model railway now. If anyone is interested, or has any suggestions as to where it might be put, please let me know.

I would hate to break it up, but it may come to that if no suitable home can be found.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 am

I am pleased to report that my late Father's model of Aylesbury LNWR in EM has found a new home. It will, appropriately, live at a private house in Aylesbury from next week.

I'm not suggesting that this is an iconic model or anything like that, but I hate to see any authentic model disappear into history. Well researched models become an historic record in their own right, so its nice to think that it will survive at least a bit longer, especially as the real thing has been totally wiped off the map.

Mike

Harry Jack

Post by Harry Jack » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 pm

That is really great news, Mike.

An iconic model? Yes, I think so. Seeing photos of your father's layout in model railway mags, many years ago, certainly had a great effect on me: really inspiring. In my hamfisted case, no modelling resulted, but I was given a great and enduring interest in the Aylesbury branch, and thence into the rest of the L&NWR Southern Division.

Thank you for letting us know.

Philip Millard

Post by Philip Millard » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 am

I also found your father's modelling a great encouragement and inspiration. To me his work represented "achievable excellence". He exhibited his then (EM) layout at an exhibition in the Central Hall around 1956 and I recall being enormously impressed. In those days of comparatively crude and unrealistic layouts I could see that it was possible to create something that really looked like the LNWR! To some extent Geoff hid his light under a bushel, as in many ways he was as skilled a modeller and powerful an influence as Peter Denny.

It is very good news that the Aylesbury layout has found a new, and hopefully a permanent, home. I for one would like to see it again.
"A man would do nothing, if he waited until he could do it so well that no one at all would find fault with what he has done." - Cardinal Newman