London Road

Please post brief details here of model railway layouts that portray the LNWR and which are exhibited at model railway exhibiitons. If possible post a link to the layout's web site or else a brief description.
Jol Wilkinson

London Road

Post by Jol Wilkinson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 am

London Road is a model of an imaginary small L&NWR suburban terminus set in the Edwardian times. Built to P4 standards (4 mm - 1ft, 18.83 mm gauge), it was constructed in the mid 1980s and was exhibited at a number of exhibitions. Stored from 1994 to 2007, it was purchased by the present owners and restored for exhibition display. London Road is known for it's selection of L&NWR locomotive and carriage stock, representing the period around 1907.

Measuring 22ft by 1ft 6", the layout is available for a small number of exhibitions each year.

Exhibition managers can contact the owners through the Society's Promotions Officer, Jol Wilkinson, at promotions@lnwrs.org.uk
Attachments
Loading dock 4.JPG
Loading dock 4.JPG (144.05 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Platforms 4.JPG
Platforms 4.JPG (141.27 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Platform gates.JPG
Platform gates.JPG (50.03 KiB) Viewed 916 times

pstanton

LNWR Layouts

Post by pstanton » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Simon is probably too modest so I'd better register:-

Model Railway Journal, No. 198.

Pages 83-92.

"Blackberry Lane Shed. Simon Fountain describes his 7mm scale model of an L&NWR engine shed."

It looks fabulous!

Peter Stanton

Jol Wilkinson

Re: LNWR Layouts

Post by Jol Wilkinson » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:16 am

pstanton wrote:Simon is probably too modest so I'd better register:-

Model Railway Journal, No. 198.

Pages 83-92.

"Blackberry Lane Shed. Simon Fountain describes his 7mm scale model of an L&NWR engine shed."

It looks fabulous!

Peter Stanton
Peter,

I'm looking forward to seeing the article on Blackberry Lane, when my copy turns up. I get MRJ by subscription, so it is invariably several days later in arriving by post than in W H Smiffs. Most frustrating!

Jol

Jol Wilkinson

Re: London Road

Post by Jol Wilkinson » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 pm

London Road has come a long way since I made the first post in this brief thread.

Having been shown at a number of exhibitions, I decided to extend the layout and create a through station format. The revised track plan was approved by Richard Foster as being representative of LNWR practise and he also kindly produced a signalling diagram.

The revised layout appeared at a number of major shows, including the Warley NEC exhibition in 2016 as part of the S4 Society's 40th anniversary display (seen here during setting up on a cold Friday evening).
London Road setting up sml.jpg
London Road setting up sml.jpg (248.12 KiB) Viewed 613 times
The time has come however, to retire from the stress and strain of taking a Transit full of model railway hundreds of miles to model railway exhibitions. The original terminus format layout has been "reinstated" and will be passing back into the hands of John Redrup, one of its original builders. The new section, seen below will hopefully form the foundations of a new, permanent, layout.
New station sml.jpg
New station sml.jpg (139.84 KiB) Viewed 613 times
London Road also appeared in Model Railway Journal and Railway Modeller in late 2018, representing the LNWR in 4mm scale across the modelling spectrum.

oldrog

Post by oldrog » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:46 am

I know the feeling of relief Jol when you no longer have a layout to set up and keep running. Once you have the roundy-roundy up and running you will be able to sit back with a glass of something and watch the trains go by. Please invite me to join you. oldrog

Jol Wilkinson

Post by Jol Wilkinson » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi Roger,

we are in the (very slow) progress of moving house t a nearby seaside town. The new property (fingers crossed) has a larger garden then we want to cultivate so I have commissioned a 28 x 14 garden office, which will also accommodate my planned new version of London Road, based upon the two new baseboard units I built.

Jol

Mike Williams

Post by Mike Williams » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 pm

Good luck Jol, hope the move comes off. Sounds like you will have an ideal space for Gauge 3! Just imagine a large scale set of NLR carriages trundling through the "office" and out of the other end .... or a live steam Cauliflower and set of 30ft 1in carriages ...

Mike